The islands are administered by a council of 21, thirteen members from St.Mary's and two representatives from each off island. The council's responsibilities include agriculture, education, welfare, social services, police and local planning applications.
The council is a sizeable local employer, retaining approx 165 staff which is around 10% of the population of St.Mary's. The council are based in the town hall on St.Mary's and have been serving the community for over 100 years. Their vision statement is "The Isles of Scilly, a strong, dynamic and sustainable Island Community."
The key corporate priorities for 2006-2020 are as follows:
- To provide excellent services for children, young people and families
- To promote a healthier and more inclusive community including endeavouring to meet the housing needs of our community
- To protect the Islands precious and outstanding natural environment
- To promote the economic vitality of the Islands
- To support initiatives which meet the transport and infrastructure needs of our community
The council have a comprehensive website with a good range of online services including the chance to watch live council meetings online: